Final Portfolio

FINAL PORTFOLIO

Like the description suggests, your final portfolio is a sort of “best-of” collection of the work you’ve produced in this class. And in this spirit you are free to include anything that you feel accurately reflects your skill as a writer and your capacity as a thinker.

Whatever you choose to include will need to be a revision of something you have already submitted, though, meaning you’ll need to have received feedback and incorporated it to produce a new draft. This new draft doesn’t have to be a “final” draft (because we can always keep revising), but it should be a clear evolution from what you first offered.

To guide both the revision process and the portfolio construction and curation process, here are the basic requirements of this assignment.

• Three (3) revised Weekly exercises
  • One (1) revised Deep dive;
  • Two (2) pieces of feedback you provided to your group mates that best reflect your capacity as a reader with a brief description of why you chose them;
  • Complete citations (with relevant Works Cited or References pages) for all included work;

You’ll need to arrange what you include in some discernible and deliberate order, but what that order is or what informs it is entirely up to you. You might consider something that reflects a particular chronology or theme, but there are loads of other ways to organize your portfolio as well.

This portfolio will be due by 11:59 pm on Tuesday, May 23rd. You can submit it via Dropbox or Discord. Grades are due by Friday, May 26th, so please grant me adequate time to read everything!

FAQs

Can I include more assignments than what’s required?

Of course! This is YOUR best-of collection, so whatever you feel reflects your interest, skill, capacity, ability, etc. can and should be included. Just be sure that your choices are deliberate and don’t come across as random or thoughtless.

Do I need to include a table of contents?

Nope! But if this helps you organize your work, then by all means.

Does it have to be all one document?

Yes, please.

Can I get creative and make my portfolio something other than a word document?

Absolutely! I’ve received all kinds of portfolios. My only recommendation is not to pressure yourself to choose a more creative approach or alternative modality, especially if you’re running out of time or feeling stressed.

Do I need individual Works Cited or References pages for each included assignment or can I do one complete one for all of them?

This really depends on your vision for the portfolio. If you curate your work around a certain theme, offering your writing as a unified collection, then it might make sense to just have a single page of full citations. However, if you elect to organize your work chronologically, then individual pages would be more appropriate.

Should I include page numbers?

Page numbers help, but they aren’t required. If you include a table of contents, though, you need to include page numbers as well.

Am I required to write anything extra, like an explanation of my choices or context for my selection?

I’d encourage you to provide a small bit of context for your choices, as it can really tie everything together. You are required to add the briefest of context for your choices of feedback that you provided others, but this can really just be a few sentences. Beyond that you, aren’t obligated to write anything more.

What if I can’t submit by the deadline?

If you can’t make the midnight deadline on Tuesday, May 23rd, please message me as soon as possible. There’s very little wiggle room around this deadline, which is not really reflective of our class policy, but because the semester is actually ending, it is what it is.